Tuesday 18 October 2011

I HAVE LOST COUNT OF LIGHTS

I have a spreadsheet. But that doesn't seem to be enough to help me make sense of the dozens of UPS boxes piled up in my office (to the amusement of my colleagues) and my home.

Since I last posted on lights, I think I have purchased another seven, but a few I had ordered turned up broken or were not quite right, so there have been a many machinations. I need to concentrate, unpack all the boxes and work out exactly what is what and where it will work.

Here's what I do know.

Living Room + Study: Tick. Vintage school house shades transported from Old Home.

Downstairs Halls: Tick. Three great vintage holophane fittings of various shapes.


Bedrooms: Tick. I finally found a set of three vintage school house shades (in the US), plus another similar larger one - so these cover off the four bedrooms. The photo below shows the (hopefully) finished product once I buy new fitters and rods for the school house shades.


Sunroom: Tick. Another vintage school house shade - just like above but a little smaller. This one will be baton fixed to the ceiling.

Bathrooms: Done. I think. The milkglass shade was way too big in the space and the "economical pair of milk-glass shades" (here) didn't work out - one broke in transit, but they were ugly anyway and way too big for scones. But at a great Etsy shop, LampGoods, I found a smaller vintage shade for the ceiling and a pair of small holophane shades which have been converted into sconces. The milkglass shade I had ear-marked for guest bathroom is just fine.




Upstairs Halls: In progress. The streetlamp, not only had no presence but also appeared to be made out of a cross between plastic and glass (urghh!). Therefore the large milkglass shade is back in the upstairs hall. I need to find two more smaller fittings for the side halls of similar style. Have my eyes on these two, again from LampGoods.


Dining Room: Hmmm. Was thinking about one of these from Complete Pad. But can't seem to commit. Should I look for something more interesting like this one?


Outdoors: I have found these ones at Complete Pad (same supplier as above), and also have my eye on the il Fanale collection from Magins, which are similar. They are all very expensive so I haven't yet pressed the button.

Lounge Room: Not Done and will be left until I discover more budget and inspiration.

Laundry etc etc: Am I really spending time worrying about lights for a laundry....? Maybe all the lights which got rejected along the way can live here!