Wednesday 26 October 2011

INSPIRATION: AUSTRALIAN (AND SOUTH AFRICAN) FABRICS

Who doesn't love the American fabric houses? They are brilliant. But they are just so totally overdone. The saturation of bed heads in Kelly Wearstler and chairs in Chang Mai Dragon and cushions in Fretwork Linen does kind of ruin it for me. And coupled with faux white (or worse bright pink) bamboo furniture...... urghh!

I find myself drawn to fabrics which are less mainstream (but definitely not unknown - I am not claiming any discoveries here).  I have loved Cloth's prints for many years - I have chairs covered in Spotcheck and Blockrpint and have just purchased some Wattyl to make a lampshade for my new desk lamp.


Ink and Spindle are another Australian based textiles house, which produces some beautiful designs which have that quintessentially Australian look. For our second wedding anniversary (theme = cotton), I was lucky enough to receive one of their Ginko print cushions from my lovely SP (who sheepishly thought it might be a hemp blend but still met the criteria - he really is sweet!).

Thea and Sami also have some cute fabrics. I particularly love the Peacock print.

And Umbrella Prints - those hearts and elephants are enough to almost make me want to decorate a nursery ( for someone else's child!)


There are also some great South African fabrics. I have recently found Skinny Laminx (though Etsy but also available through Emily Ziz). Emily Ziz stocks a lot of brilliant South African stuff. Maybe my second set of retro chairs would look great with this?