Friday 4 November 2011

ON THE HUNT: BATHROOM MIRROR

While un-needed ottomans are popping into my life - I am soon to be in serious need of a bathroom mirror. For the last five months we have been making do with a 20cm x 20cm stick-on square from Ikea stuck inside the door of the linen cupboard. Now with the larger bathroom renovation in full swing (WIP photos to come), I need to get my skates on and find something to fit the space above the new vanity. Problem is I have looked at numerous photos and although I have narrowed it down the ideas, I am a little stuck:

Idea 1. Round with dark (iron) frame.


Potential source - Not sure, can't find one anywhere.
Pro - sleek shape, contrast to all white capping and woodwork.
Issues - too dark? And doesn't exist!

Idea 2. Round "art deco" mirror with beveled edges.  


Potential source - ebay (though have to sift through lots with bird or ships etched on them!
Pros - subtle, vintage-ish look.
Issues - too fiddly? And I am running out of time to find one nearby of the right size.

Idea 3. Round / Oval with white wooden frame.

Potential source - again maybe ebay for a vintage, but so far haven't seen any. If could find a wooden one, I could paint it white. My local junk shop has something similar but way too big for the space. Recollections has something which is a little smaller than I would ideally like but might work.
Pros - tie in with with the white tile capping and wooden frames.
Issues - too much white wood?

Idea 4. Square with wooden frame.

Potential source: local picture framers should be able to produce something.
Pros / Issues - as per above. But also not sure square works!

Idea 5. Square self-framed mirror.
Potential sources: mirror stores or again Recollections has something which is a little smaller than I would ideally like but might work.
Pros - clean, simple look.
Issues - not sure I am entirely sold.....