Thursday 17 November 2011

WIP: MAIN BATHROOM

It has been five weeks since the bathroom renovation started so I thought a WIP update was required. It will hopefully be finished in the next few days, so I will be able to show the finished product soon.

First a few "before: shots. Lots of brass, maroon, wood and multicoloured floor tiles. However no operating shower or storage.....



So first everything got ripped out.



Then the new concrete floor went in and plumbing was installed. The plan is to put a stand-alone shower in the corner where the bath used to sit. Shimmy the bath over to under the window, leave the toilet broadly in its spot and replace the pedestal sink with a vanity.


Then the floor tiles went down. After a little umming and ahhing I did choose the carera marble hexagons and really pleased I broke the budget on these as they look fantastic after they have been grouted (which they haven't been in the photos below). I used a coloured grout product in "misty grey".



Then the walls went on - I chose a very budget friendly white subway tile. I decided to tile all the walls with the exception of the shower to "chair rail" height (about 1100mm) - the shower is of course is tiled to full height.



I decided to use plaster capping (this one) instead of tile capping as I couldn't match the white tile caps with the white wall tiles. We also replaced the cornice and the walls were then plastered. Then Mr B stepped in for a day of doing all the fiddly parts - patching the door and frame to adjust for the new floor height, generally filling various gaps. 



While all this was happening, the old maroon and cream bath was resurfaced by Thermoglaze in pure white (inside and out), however I kept the original feet untouched.


I pulled out my paint brush to paint the vanity which was custom built by Aramis Kitchen and I organised a carrara marble vanity top from Medmarble. The sink and new taps are just resting here (back to front) in the sunroom for now.



The painting is underway today and then all that is left is to put it all back together and have the shower-screen installed next week.

PS - After a few false starts I am also hopeful of having solved the bathroom mirror puzzle.....fingers crossed.