Wednesday 22 August 2012

POTTING TABLE PROJECT

While I had some time on my hands, I actioned the potting table project. Well - less, a table for potting as such, and more a table for holding my collection of small pot plants (and cups of tea while sitting in the afternoon sun).

I had my eyes out for a wrought iron table base, but a couple of months ago, I ended up coming home with a bentwood style wooden base. It was of course covered in several lawyers of different coloured paint so I sanded it back a little and painted it with matte black paint.

The table base came with a rather ugly and mis-fitting stone top. I worked out it was mainly ugly because it was covered in some kind of sealer which had yellowed and the exposed stone underneath was actually an OK colour. So I took it to the local stone mason who re-cut it to fit the base and re-honed it to remove the sealer. There wasn't much saving compared with buying a new stone top, but I didn't want to waste the existing piece of stone. 

With our "Santa money" we purchased a pair of black Ikea Storsele chairs. And this is the finished product (and I have even managed to keep the succulents alive for a couple of months!).